Friday 13 May 2011

Freedom of (mis)Information Application













WANTED a map of Restricted Parking Zones in Hay. Such a simple request!

I’ve been trying since the meeting at Hay Primary School on 24th March to get hold of a map of where the restricted parking zones are in the town and the restrictions that apply within those zones – to no avail!

I had hoped the map would show not only the Restricted Parking Zones (RPZs, yet another council acronym!) but through a process of elimination, all those areas within the town where no restrictions apply and on-street parking is therefore permitted.

You would think it simple, but in fact no such map can be found in the town. The council office (while we still have one) doesn’t hold a copy and nor does the library; surely a simple matter to get the map from the council.

After numerous frustrating ‘phone calls; first to Gareth Lloyd, Car Parking Manger at Powys County Council (PCC) Llandrindod Wells; then Peter Lewis, Car Parks Manager, Brecon; I finally spoke to Joshua Harris at PCC's Legal Department who promised to forward the map and associated orders to me.

Unfortunately, it soon transpired that the information could only be supplied if I paid for it as the map had (at some stage) been displayed in Llandrindod Wells and Brecon, and whilst it had not been displayed in Hay, nor was it currently available there; I could only see it if I paid for the privilege.

On 7th April, I applied for the map and associated parking orders through a Freedom of Information request to Powys County Council.

Whoopee! Today, only thirty six days after my application, I received a bulky envelope from Powys County Council stating that enclosed was the information I had requested. Unfortunately it didn’t! The enclosures were legal documents concerning only off-street parking in Hay with detailed maps of the Market Square and Oxford Street Car Parks! As a bonus, I also received a bound copy of the 1st April 2011 Powys Civil Enforcement and Consolidation Order.

Interesting to relate, Section 4 of this Order is six pages of information regarding Residents’ Parking Permits. This document, whilst not that which was requested, warrants further reading!

(Ironically, the only other letter received in the same post was one from PCN (Penalty Charge Notice or 'parking ticket' for uninitiated!) Processing, Camden Council in London notifying me of the successful outcome of my appeal against a parking ticket (sorry PCN) issued to me on my visit to London for the recent Virgin Marathon!)

Thankfully Councillor Gareth Ratcliffe, a fellow CRAP campaigner, used his influence to secure a copy of the map I requested, and delivered a copy to me this afternoon. Thank you Gareth you’re a star.

Tomorrow Gareth and I propose to walk the streets of Hay, map in hand to look at all the RPZs in detail, and at 1:30 along with several local residents and traders, will be meeting the press and a photographer under the clock tower!

The price of fame!

No comments: